Title- Curves in the Road
Series- The Southern Devotion Series #2 (Can be read as standalone)
By- Amy K McClung
Publication Date-August 6th, 2014
When you build a road from one place to another, it won't always be a straight line. Sometimes you have to add curves to move around the obstacles. Life is like that as well. Sometimes we have a straight path of what we want in life and we do everything we can to follow that path until suddenly a mountain appears and we have to veer off course to get around it. Even though we face those curves, it doesn't mean we won't end up on the same path we started. Then again, sometimes we discover roads that we never knew existed and that will get us to where we want to be.
Derrick Collins lives in Nashville TN with his six year old daughter, Katelyn. Derrick found love once before in a girl named Mary Jane, until she moved away to Florida to fulfill her dreams of becoming an engineer. Derrick's life hasn't been the same since Mary Jane left two years ago. His days are spent working long hours in order to give his daughter a good life. His social life is non-existent these days and he's decided it's time for a change. Derrick sets out to find his happily ever after once and for all.
Mary Jane Evans' life took a different path than she ever dreamed. She moved to Florida for an intern program at Disney. She left her life in Nashville that included childhood friends, family, and the first man she ever loved, Derrick Collins. Now it's time to decide if she will move back to that life or stay in the new one she has created for herself. Will Derrick still be waiting for her? What if she's been gone too long and he no longer cares?
Can these two find their paths back to each other or were there too many Curves in the Road?
I have to be honest, I was not going to read the book but for some reason decided I would; 2 days before my post was due. I am not a huge fan of romances, I do read them but just get really tired of them. So many are predictable and fall flat. That being said…I really liked this book. Derrick and MJ were just so right, the family love bountiful, a real feel good book. Not without their troubles of course but in my eyes the story was believable.
I recommend this book to anyone and everyone, it is wonderfully written and very easy to get involved in the plot. You will find yourself cheering, groaning, laughing and feeling with the characters. I now have to go see what else the author has written because I really like her style.
Amy K. McClung you have made me a fan! I would like to thank you for making your book available for me to read and review. It made me very happy, and the world needs more happy. My rating for Curves in the Road is 4 stars.
I asked the author to tell us her top ten favorite things. Here they are in no particular order.
1. Movies: There is nothing better than a good movie. No matter what mood you are in there is something for you. If I’m in a bad mood, a good slasher film seems to be the best medicine for that adrenaline. When I’m happy I love comedies and romance movies. And when I’m feeling nerdy, there is nothing like a good sci-fi or paranormal movie.
2.Books: Another great escape from reality. I love when I begin reading a book and get so enthralled in the story that I lose all track of time. It’s even better when a great book leaves you thinking about it for weeks after you finish it.
3. My husband. He truly is my best friend and we do everything together. We only have one car so that is literal at the moment. Even when we had two cars though we still enjoy spending all our time together.
4. Mac & Cheese. I could eat this at every meal for the rest of my life. I’ve lost my taste for many things over the years but never this.
5. Blue. My favorite color. Any and every shade of blue.
6. Math. I’m a nerd through and through. I love numbers. It’s almost a sickness, lol.
7. The Lion King. My favorite movie of all time. Hakuna Matata is a my motto now too.
8. Snow. In Nashville we don’t get snow very often but when we do, I love it! I enjoy watching it fall, especially when the flakes are huge. I love the smell (yes there is a certain smell in the air when it’s snowing) and I love how it makes everything around look like Christmas time.
9. Christmas. My favorite time of year. I would put up my Christmas tree as soon as cold weather hit if my husband would let me. He keeps me grounded though and we have a tradition of always putting it up the day after Thanksgiving every year. We then leave it up until after New Year’s...sometimes a few weeks after. It’s the time of year that I always am the happiest. I love doing Christmas related things; parades, decorating, wrapping presents, Rock City Christmas. Last year I discovered my new favorite place for Christmas...DisneyWorld.
10. DisneyWorld. My favorite place for vacation. No matter how many times I go, I love it more each time. Our last trip was December 2013 which was maybe my 8th trip down there but the first time at Christmas. It was the best time. My hubs and I have already decided to spend Christmas 2015 there to celebrate 10 years of marriage. We also went there for our 1st anniversary/late honeymoon. It is the most magical place on earth as a child and a romantic place when you’re an adult.
About the Author
Amy K McClung was born in Nashville, TN. She is the second oldest of four girls. She married Daniel McClung in September 2005 and they currently reside just outside of Nashville. She graduated from Father Ryan High School in 1996. In 2002 obtained her general certification in medical coding and billing and in 2009 she obtained a specialty certification in Hospital medical coding and billing. Amy and her husband are both fans of fantasy novels as well as avid movie collectors. The Parker Harris Series is the first series of books by this author. Cascades of Moonlight is Book #1, Dreams, Spells, and Moonlit Tales is Book #2, and The Dark Moon Book #3 and The Cold Moon Book #3.5 a Novella from Mitchell's POV. Her second series is a New Adult Contemporary Romance, The Southern Devotion Series, with each book having as a standalone novel with crossover characters. The first book in that series is For the Love of Gracie. Curves in the Road is her newest release as Book 3 in the NA series. Her favorite past times include watching movies, drawing, and reading fantasy novels. Her first book was a means of therapy for her as it enabled her to escape reality for a while during a difficult transition in her life. Her current work in progress is a spin-off of The Parker Harris Series called "The Crispin Sinclair Chronicles" that will be released in October 2014 as a YA Fantasy series.